"What the—" Elena said, seeing the sails.

"What is it?" Reno asked. "Hey, we got wind!"

"Yet it blows the wrong way for anything natural in these parts." Tseng said. "I say this would warrant rousting our errant father."

"I say it ain’t that worth botherin’ about," Reno said.

"And I say the trade winds blow in the other direction."

"I bet money he knows what it is," Elena said.

"And I’ll bet money he knows it personally," Tseng said, and dutifully left to retrieve his father.

"Well I ain’t bettin’ money on nothin’ so there," Reno said. "You think he’s gonna hold up to it?"

"The sail?"

"His promise. ‘Bout Shinra."

"He be our father, Reno. Remember that!" Elena scolded. "He taught us all how to cut a throat without weeping before we came of ten years. Do you dare doubt him? In front of your sister, who has yet to lose such a skill?"

"I ain’t doubting him," Reno retorted. "I thought maybe he wouldn’t hold up. Maybe he got paid."

"He’d take the money and still attack, Reno. You know that."

"I don’t mean money," Reno said, shooting a glance at Reeve, who still gaily sat on the railing, and still smiling. "I been thinking. Death changes a man; I know that. Death like that though…"

"You fear it?"

"And you don’t?"

"Elena! Reno!" They heard their father bark. "First rule!"

"Never spare a life that not be worth the money," Elena said.

"Second Rule."

"Spare no treasure, spare no place where it could hide," Reno answered.

"Third."

"Never gamble without a weapon to take it all back," Elena answered.

"That’s fourth," Tseng said.

"Fear slits throats," Vincent said. "In my case I would have preferred such fate. I feared not the curse. I feared not death. I feared he who opened the gates of hell, and whose liaison howls yet." Vincent looked toward the sails. For the smallest moment, they thought he’d laugh again. Yet his face did not change. "Those are indeed not the Trade Winds, Tseng. This may put a dent in my promise. And this man tried to put a dent in my face. I say we stay this course and meet him head on."

"By your words, be walk into the toothed maw of a hellhound," Tseng said.

"No. Her child. The trinket it may want, but it only knows others hold it yet."

"You know this how?" Elena asked

"It would have killed Lucrecia in my place if not. It would deal not with Shinra if it could find them on it’s own. Any more insolence?"

"And if that be?"

"Just as I taught you."

"Who be Lucrecia? Your tormentor?"

"In a sense," Vincent answered. "And yet, she may be a more savior than our lord Jesus. She brought life from death. She walked upon water, in her heels and toes yet. She arose from the dead, I’d like to see him look so well in a corset, I would."

……………………………………………………………………………………………

"Aye! We be right on top of them!" Heidegger exclaimed.

"As promised and threatened," Sephiroth said.

"It took you days, you young Windbag!"

"Heidegger, we do not argue with metaphysical beings," Rufus yelled.

"Aye, sir."

"Elena, you two each a cannon. Choose wisely. We have limited people. Limited supplies, and most likely a limited life depending on our actions. Be prepared to board, but make sure you board before they do."

"And you shall be doing?" Sephiroth asked.

"There is another ship tailing us, it seems. As well as the fact that when you said show Black Valentine the murder of those who harbored him, you meant personally."

"Indeed."

"I have my own plans for Black Valentine."

"And no doubt he shall have his."

"No doubt."

"Of, doubt there be, Sephiroth. I doubt you care towards the outcome of this battle. I doubt you care towards the survival of what is left of my crew. I doubt you care of pain, Sephiroth. I even doubt you feel it. I doubt your promise, yet I risk my life and theirs on it. May prevaricators blood be spilled."

"They be in range of cannon sir. With good shot, they be in range of a pistol."

"No," Rufus commanded. "No, I rescind my orders, no matter how recent. Now powder, not yet. Sephiroth, you do not want these people dead. You do not want them dead. You smile at this horrid wailing. What you seek, despite your nature be not blood. I shall grant you their ship. I shall give Black Valentine a murder that will destroy any heart in him. Heidegger, Scarlet," Rufus said, crossing himself. "In advance I give my commiserations. Lives are too fragile for mortal hands, and he would not hold them."

The couple was silent, stunned at their commanders orders

"Do nothing. Say nothing. Taunt them with silence. If they drop anchor, Sephiroth shall bring us closer. Drop the raven and keep yourselves alive. Those are your orders now."

"You act as if you promise your self salvation," Heidegger said.

"That is not up to me," Rufus stated, looking at Sephiroth. "No doubt that is not up to you. I believe most lives today rest in the same hands as the wailing rests in the throat."

Back