As any battlefield, it now became a morbid shrine to the blood spilt that day.

The waves calmed themselves and lapped quietly against the ship, like a hound obediently at its master’s feet, awaiting orders.

There was still fire upon the water.

None had escaped uninjured of the crews.

The silent requiem for their fallen comrade was broken as there was a sound against the ship, thing metal pieces scraping against the soaked boards of the ship.

The eerie scraping continued, and those who could walk, went over to the side of the boat, not to investigate the noise, but to question whether it was truly reality that held a cheering Reno and Rude, despite their clothes now fully dyed with their own blood.

"No true pirate can die by the hands of the sea."

"Vincent—ow!" Cloud said, hurting himself in his enthusiasm.

"Ye really be a zombie," Cid muttered.

"God himself be damned!" Valentine cursed, rushing to his female child, as she lay all too still, even for such a battle. "NO! I did not return from death to see yours!"

None of the others moved towards him as he pounded upon her chest. Reno and Rude had silenced themselves.

"If such a blessing will send you to hell, then perhaps such a curse cold bring you back. I give breath for yours; you make me pray for the first time in my life, child," Valentine whispered before pressing his lips upon his daughter’s and breathing into her with no untoward affection.

Valentine lifted his head and again pleaded again with his fallen daughter. "Breathe for me" he whispered, lifting her head.

Obediently—and also miraculously—she began coughing. Though Elena remained unconscious, there were cheers from the crews of both ships, even from Nanaki.

 

…………………………………………………………………………………………..

Cloud had paid for Tifa, not for service, but for a proper wedding ceremony. Tifa mocked that now that he had a skirt to own, he’d chase no others, but she threatened to make him wear it if he did. Barrett took up Nanaki until he could afford a trip to deliver the beast back to his home of golden sand and blazing heat—something wished for so much more after being at sea for so long.

Cid paid the same for Shera, kept her and Yuffie on his ship at all times. He claimed Sharkbait would do the least damage with him to watch her and he’d keep the zombies out of Shera’s bed, warm or not.

Reeve, though he knew little English, left with the Turks, whatever the group, now reunited with father and Captain, went on to do in between shore leave visits to squander everything they returned with, everyone knew it could not have been earned legally. And to them, they cared not. The sea was a mistress of courage and honor, not law.

As the others settled down, though not anchored to the port, Black Valentine promised to reclaim his name, and finally had the chance to give his heart to the woman who had broken in decades ago.

The man who had gone beyond death had given the key to his life to the woman who refused to be held down and was now bound to rock and chain, and mermaid stained lips touched those of siren.

Back