Shizuki was shocked. Rei Hino had practically cloned herself with her children. Same hair, same skin. If they hadn’t worn different clothes, no one would have been able to tell them apart. Shizuki was still having trouble, having no idea which son was which and confusing Megumi for Karei.

The next generation was impressive in looks and diversity. Nijiro and Genjuuro brought their children who acted more like sisters than cousins, and their respective wives, Damara and Dia Griene. Andarta and Cuchlaine were certainly a sight. Done up to be ‘prim’ and ‘proper,’ their striped black hair falling already falling out of the fancy styles the maid’s had spent hours pinning them into. The girls hiked up they’re skirts to stomp giant strides, only to wobble on the heels they wore. They’re nylons were slumping down they’re legs. Unless someone was pulling a trick on her, Shizuki made a mental note: Andarta had two red stripes in her hair, Cuchlaine had one gold. She also made a note to invite less people to her next ball.

Megumi and Yohko had brought their husbands Arjun and Masud. Yohko’s daughter Kamala had married Megumi’s son Govinda and was so pregnant now that she had a hard time walking. At least she had a place to set her cup and plate. Despite their Japanese features, all three women looked splendid in their slawar kameez sets and saris

Genjuuro had brought his second wife—the first had ended in a sad divorce-- Yun and his three children: Liu, Yao and Shun. For having moved to china, all three children had very African features. Liu was dark and tall, though so androgynous Shizuki considered asking someone what gender they were. Yao’s hair was done up in a tight topknot, with lots of stripes of white in her cornrows. Shun had small braids, covered with clear beads halfway up her hair. Good, Shizuki thought. She could identify them easily.

Of course Karei and Hiro had come Hitomi, an intimidating person, even in delicate make up and clothes. Strangely, she was doing much better in them than her cousins.

Shizuki greeted each and every one of them at the door. Despite the drastic change in the descendants from the first Senshi of Mars, Shizuki’s jaw dropped at the sight of Minako. She had expected someone like, well, the first Minako. A tall, quiet, girl with dark brown hair to her shoulders and purple bows gently nodded at her, dressed in the dress of the Princess of Venus. Shizuki caught herself and gave a curtsey. Again Minako politely nodded at her. Even as she walked away, Minako made no sound.

Next came Yoake with several people in tow. Shizuki was glad the remaining original senshi had arrived earlier. Keeping track of people in groups was so hard.

"I’m sorry, none of us have been introduced," Shizuki said.

"I’m Yoake Hades," Yoake introduced herself.

Shizuki nodded. She’d seen pictures of Neo Sailorpluto.

"This is my husband Alex, and these are Aaron and Chiharu. This is Aaron’s date, Desdemona Sangster."

"You don’t have a date, Chiharu?" Shizuki asked.

"My date’s over there," pointing to Shun, who was with her cousins. The descendants of Mars seemed to flock together like crows.

"Enjoy yourself then," Shizuki said.

Chiharu ignored her and ran over to Shun while the others politely walked in. Aaron and Desdemona seemed to be joined at the hips.

"I’m Empress Stella," the blue-haired woman said, smiling at Shizuki. A few years after Shizuki was born, Queen Stella had negotiated a peace treaty with the Tau Ceti. With the power of the Opaque Prism, the two galaxies had merged. There had been another mergence, which sealed the treaty and put all of Tau Ceti under the rule of Queen Stella: she had married a Tau Ceti.

"It’s wonderful to finally meet you!" Shizuki said.

"This is my husband—"

"Prince Consort," he interrupted.

"Satet. And this is Sirius, our daughter."

Shizuki had never seen anyone like Sirius. Or her father for that matter, but Sirius was stunning. Her skin was opalescent, her eyes shone with their own light, her hair was as dark as her father’s was—and his skin for that matter. As ethereal as she looked, Sirius was still a young girl, barely over ten.

"Hi." Sirius chirped.

"Hello," Shizuki greeted, recovering from the shock. She’d been in the palace to much, she shouldn’t be taking an interest in people related to her. But, they weren’t sexual or anything so, why was she…? She didn’t know where that thought was going and blinked it away.

More people were showing up, obviously the Morinos.

Shizuki bowed. "Hello and…. And… um…"

Utako said nothing. Today was about her and the other senshi, not her parents. She was quiet. Still, she thought it was amusing that the princess was completely aghast at Tommy’s crew cut and long thin braids. It made her almost wish she had such an outrageous hairstyle instead of her herringbone braids. Almost.

Aya stared. She was the normal one in the family. She brushed a strand of blue hair that fell out of her topknot away from her eyes. Okay, so she was normal comparatively.

All heads slowly turned towards Tommy. "What?" she asked. She had worn her fancy lip ring today. Now two chains, not just one, dangled as she spoke. She’d worn her fancy double nose piercing.

She just happened to have ten piercings in her face, a practically shaved head, and enough metal to make a six-pack out of draped around her neck and nothing but leather, vinyl, and fishnet for clothes.

"It’s all the rage," Utako spoke up. Tommy smiled. Utako always had the right thing to say in Tommy’s defense. Her parents never knew why and she seemed proud of that fact.

"I’m Tomoe, but everyone calls me Tommy."

"I’m Aya."

"Utako."

"What about…?" Shizuki asked, pointing to the fourth girl. Some alien being must have disguised itself as a well-mannered, perfectly normal, and elegant person and found the wrong family to blend in with.

"She’s Gunhilda," Utako said, pulling Gunhilda close and holding her possessively. "Got a problem with that?"

"Not at all," Shizuki said. She figured she’d better not.

………………………

"This blows," Cuchlaine said. Her feet hurt from the heels, she’d tossed the nylons in the trash since they wouldn’t stay up and had holes in them, and she’d probably ripped her dress tripping on it’s low hem.

"Sucks ass," Andarta concurred.

"We could skip," Cuchlaine commented.

"Didja bring a lighter?"

"You didn’t!" Cuchlaine yelled. By now people were used to her screaming, mostly from falling over from her dress and shoes. Everyone ignored her.

"Damn straight I did," Andarta said. "Get us the hell out of here and I’ll share."

……………..

Shizuki stared out at the ball. Liu had disappeared, along wit Gaia and Rhea. Shizuki hoped they weren’t bitter about this. This was Shizuki’s coronation ball, even though they were Usagi’s children. They were her aunts, technically.

Maybe if they had an accident out in the garden…

Where the hell were these strange thoughts coming from? She shook her head, banishing the thought and anywhere it might lead.

Shun and Chiharu were dancing, as were Gunhilda and Utako. Well, Gunhilda was dancing, dragging Utako around with her.

Hitomi was chatting up the other Morino sisters and Yao, who was shaking her head at it. Minako was quietly talking to Sirius. Aaron had wandered off somewhere with Desdemona. Perhaps Kamala and Govinda? Maybe one of the adults… Shizuki didn’t want to seem like a baby, but this WAS her party. Why wasn’t anyone talking to her? Just one person. A talking cat would do.

"I take it you’re Shizuki," someone said behind her, making her practically jump straight in the air.

Shizuki spun around and froze. Sirius was hauntingly beautiful, but this person… who was she? Her hair looked practically liquid, possibly darker than Satet’s skin or hair, with a midnight blue sheen. Never before could Shizuki be taken in by someone’s skin. It didn’t matter that it was pale and not like the skin of Liu or Govinda; it had a mesmerizing quality too it that transcended color. Most of all, what enchanted Shizuki at that moment, was the girl’s eyes. Colors. Nothing but changing colors and twisting patterns.

"I figured you had to be, considering the crown. My name’s Lorelei," the girl said , offering her hand. "If I may be so bold: May I have this dance, Your Majesty?"

Shizuki would have given both her legs to have a dance with Lorelei. How could someone be so instantly mesmerizing? What was working it’s magic this night? Why? And why, oh why, was Shizuki so lucky?

Shizuki placed her hand in Lorelei’s hand and Lorelei took up the lead. "And who’s daughter are you?"

"I’m no one’s daughter," Lorelei replied.

"Then I must say you are the most enchanting party-crasher I’ve ever seen," Shizuki said.

"Before you offer to escort me to the door after asking me on a date, I can explain," Lorelei said. "I’m the daughter of Rosalind’s sister."

"But you said—"

"Have you ever heard of Elysion?"

"The land of dreams?"

"My mother was from there. She had frequent dreams of someone, inspired by an ancient song. The priestess consented to giving her the gift of a child, the girl from her dreams."

"What was the song?" Shizuki asked

.

"Lucy in the sky with Diamonds," Lorelei said. "I’m just glad it wasn’t ‘Nowhere Man.’ Shall we keep dancing?"

"Forever," Shizuki replied.

Lorelei took the compliment as sincere. Was Shizuki the only one who saw her as that beautiful or did she just fall easily for chivalrous comments. Shizuki hoped for the former, she wanted Lorelei to be hers and hers alone. She would make sure of it.

………………

Andarta flew a cloud of smoke into the night sky. This was more like it.

She took a long drag from her cigarette and let the next cloud of smoke exit her nostrils.

"Konichiwa," someone said, stepping out from behind a nearby tree. She didn’t look familiar to either of them, so maybe she didn’t know their names. Maybe if they lied, they wouldn’t get busted. Then again, they had another advantage.

"We don’t speak Japanese," Cuchlaine said.

"You two like trouble, don’t you?" the woman said, reverting to English.

"Umm," Cuchlaine said. Was that an invitation or a trap?

"You two want to see something cool?" the woman said. Despite her slang, she had a very regal way of speaking.

"What, is that the moon version of ‘Wanna see a dead body?’" Andarta said.

"It could be," the woman said, holding her palm open next to her chest. A golden crystal materialized. She held it up and it began to glow.

 

Back